The Monkey Attacked Me

One girl's struggle against the bizarre.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Alterna-Techno???

So, there is this phenomenon on alternative radio stations. Around 10 o'clock on weekend nights, alternative stations cease playing their normal music and, instead, play techno/club/house/whatever music. Dance music, if you will. Like that which you would hear in the Lizard Lounge or Plush or something (okay, I have never been to the Lizard Lounge. I am just speculating.)

This seems so bizarre to me. Why do the stations do this? Just because it is after 10 on a Saturday night, are my tastes supposed to change? If I wanted to listen to techno, I would tune to a techno station. I am listening to 102.1 (or 101X in Austin) because I am hoping to hear a little Green Day. Or a little Franz Ferdinand. Maybe even some good, old Pearl Jam.

So what is the purpose of this complete format change on weekend nights? Did the station just decide it would be easier to let the DJ at Plush do their broadcast? Do they figure no one is home listening anyway, so why not just plug into the dj booth? Were they thinking, hey, most of our listeners are at this club, so I bet the rest want to hear what these guys get to hear?

I just don't understand? Is the station trying to make us long to be at the club? "We're shaking our booties. Jealous?"

No. I am not jealous. I have done my time in the clubs. I am far to old and unattractive for that life. I am not a very good dancer. I mean, I attempt the booty shaking, but I feel I come off very white and pathetic. And then the icky guys come up behind me and attacking my poor, rhythmless booty.

So, you see, not only am I not getting to hear the new Green Day, I am also being reminded of unfortunate dance floor molestations. Damn you, 102.1! Now play some American Idiot.

3 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, since when did alterna-kids like upbeat peppy dance music? I mean, sure, give us some Prodigy, BT, Chemical Brothers--Maybe some Moby. The peppy dancey stuff has got to go. I'd blame it all on Clear Channel, as they can be blamed for almost everything from Nickleback to too much traffic in the mornings, but unfortunately, the Edge was doing this long before CC came along. Humph.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is exactly why I love my Sirius. I am no longer a slave to the whims of clear channel. If I want Death Metal at 4am, there's a channel for me. If I want techno at three in the afternoong, there's a channel for me.

I love Sirius more than Vikings.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home