The Monkey Attacked Me

One girl's struggle against the bizarre.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Excel

For years, I have been living a lie. I think. I have claimed that I am an Excel expert. I don't think this is true. Sure, I took some classes in college and I can make one hell of a pie chart, but I don't know if I am really an expert. My resume says I am, but, really, am I?

What does it mean to "know" Excel? Does that mean to make a nice spreadsheet to keep your work all organized? Then yeah, I am quite the genius. Does "know" mean occasionally tabulating columns? Then yeah, expert, right here. But beyond that, I really don't know. What exactly constitutes Excel expertise?

4 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Blogger MOL Junior said...

i too am a self proclaimed excel expert....i would like to challenge you to an excel-off some time....we can even let the bag boy DJ the event to give you a home field advantage.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

But see, that's the point, I don't think I a really am an expert. I think I am deluded. I mean, sure, I put together nice spreadsheets for keeping track of my projects. And I have been none to log the noise produced by cube mates and then output that data in pie chart form, but I don't know if I really "know" Excel.

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, proclaim to be an excel expert. I can make spreadsheets that are BEAUTIFUL and graphs you've only DREAMED about. I am sad I don't get to use it as much in my current job. My talent is totally wasted. Which is a shame, because it really is my ONLY talent. ;-)

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

True genius is expressed through vlookups, sumif, pivot tables, and general simple beauty. Bring it on!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home