The Monkey Attacked Me

One girl's struggle against the bizarre.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Responses and Phase Outs

I have a pet peeve: lack of consideration. I know that consideration on the part of others should be a given, but it just isn't. I am far more sensitive to the consideration levels of others. I remember things. I remember when you say, hey, we should get together for drinks. I want to make a plan right away, and then actually carry out said plan. I try to return calls and emails. When people don't do the same to me, I take it personally. I know I shouldn't, but I do. Now, I know some of you are thinking, whatever. MAV didn't return my call last night or that email I sent. But in general, I do, right? I might not write back right away, but I will. I will call to check in within a few days. My problem is with the people you write or call over and over again, but they don't bother to respond in a timely manner. When they finally deem me worthy of their time, I am expected to hop to and not make any fuss about why they haven't been returning my calls.

This brings me to the second point of this post: the phase out. I am oblivious. I do not realize when I am being phased out. I never see these things coming. And, I take a REALLY long time to accept that they are happening. I hate the phase out. It makes me feel foolish for making an effort for someone that simply doesn't care or appreciate it. I think that a Phase Out service of some sort should be created. When you no longer wish to date someone, be friends with someone, have someone in your life in any way, you would contact the service. They would take your phone number, email and IM handles and block the undesired person from your life. The Undesirable would receive an email stating that MAV wishes to discontinue your relationship effective immediately. There would be an itemized list so that you may learn and grow from this experience. No more waiting patiently for that guy to respond to your email. No more wondering if he really is busy or if he JUST ISN'T THAT INTO YOU. No more futile voice mails with passive aggressive messages like "are you still alive?" You would get a clean break AND learn what went wrong. You will know if you did indeed come on too strong. You will know that Mr. Doesn't Return Phone Calls thought you were a ring hungry girl and is running in fear (by the way, for all you guys out there... Not every woman over the age of 22 is in a race for the alter. Some of us would just like someone to hang out with. Someone to go to the movies with. Someone to have some sex with *gasp*). I'm just saying that knowing is always better. Almost everyone believes this, I think. So why are we so willing to do a disservice to others by not letting them know for sure that we are just not interested.

I would like to add a bit of clarification. If you communicate with the person regularly, a few unreturned messages are acceptable and expected. I am talking about leaving numerous messages and months between communications. Seriously? I took the time to call or write. Just shoot off a quick email saying that you got my messages, but haven't had time to give a proper response. Then give a time frame in which the response will come!
All I am asking is for a little consideration. If someone takes the time to write or call you, return the call or email in a timely manner. If you do not wish to continue the relationship, let that be known. Don't string people along.

I, by the way, recieved my offical break up email this morning. Happy Valentine's Day to me.

4 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

I would like to clarify that I never thought we were "together" or boyfriend/girlfriend.

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you didn't think you two were together or boyfriend/girlfriend, how can it be a "break up email"?

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Because when the words "I don't think we should see each other anymore" are included, it's a break up. He must have thought that I thought we were, otherwise, there wouldn't have been a need for an email to end things.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Jack said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home