The Monkey Attacked Me

One girl's struggle against the bizarre.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Oil Pan Bargains

So, over the weekend, I had a bit of an accident. Nothing major. I just ran over a median that was hiding in the shadows over the turn lane. Awful scraping sounds ensued. So there I was, straddling the median wondering what to do (and no, I was not drunk). Special T drove past (I suspect she pointed and laughed) and gave me guidance on the next course of action. I was thinking big, burly men could pick the car up. Special T suggested driving over the curb as it was not too high. More awful scraping sounds eminated from beneath my car. But, nothing appeared to be hanging down below, and no lights came on. I assumed there were scrapes and dings below, but nothing major.

Yesterday, it was brought to my attention that my car was leaking some sort of fluid. It was dark before I was able to leave the office, so I was unable to really study the fluid. It seemed dark, but that was all I could tell. So, I knew that it was either transmission fluid or oil. As I drove home, I noticed a new wind noise. Something below the car was catching wind.

When I got home, I called my auto repair guru, Fisher, and sought his counsel. He confirmed my oil/transmission fluid suspisions but threw in the possibility of radiator fluid and coolant. He inquired as to the color, and I restated the problem with the setting of the sun and lack of light. And no, I don't have a working flashlight (must get on that). He told me that transmission fluid is sweet. I decided to forgoe the attempted poisoning (I didn't think our breakup was that bad) and wait for morning to investigate further. As for the wind noise, he didn't know, but thought something had just gotten knocked loose.

Morning came, and I went out to my car. The leak was black, and my oil was low. I found the source of the noise: my air dam appeared to have come loose. Since there was still oil in the tank, I decided to go ahead and drive up to Lewisville for the car repairs. Pep Boys was suggested to me by someone that obviously hates me and wants to see me broke, homeless and begging for cheeseburgers at the intersections. Pep Boys wanted to charge me over $670 for the repairs: new oil pan, new oil gasket, oil change, and new air dam. I considered crying, but instead began to call around to other shops. Fisher called to check on the progress of my repairs and clarified that I didn't HAVE to replace the air dam right away. I just needed to get it removed so as to not cause further damage to my car's delicate underparts. JLay suggested I call Merlins in Lewisville. They quoted me $328 for a new oil pan and gasket. I called Pep Boys to share my findings. They scoffed. How could this be? Merlins must be putting a used pan on the car. I confirmed that it was indeed a new pan. I asked for an adjusted quote for just the oil pan related repairs (no air dam). The quoted me over $480. I asked why they were charging almost $150 dollars MORE. They had no good answer.

So, I retreived my car and paid for the highly overpriced diagnostic fee (I don't think that some guy look under my car, pointing to the oil pan and saying that needs to be replaced is really a diagnostic test. Had I had a handy car lift at my apartment, I could have done that). Off to Merlin's. I asked about the possibility of a used pan (it just holds dirty oil, why go new?) Larry the Good, said he would look into it.

I just called to find out about the price. The oil pan, oil gasket AND an oil change were only $290. How AWESOME is that? Larry the Good of Merlins, I think I might love you.

Am I the best bargain shopper or what? $687 down to under $300. Sweetness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home