The Monkey Attacked Me

One girl's struggle against the bizarre.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Oompa Loompa

Okay, so I haven't seen the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I was in Pineland the weekend it came out, and they don't have movies there. Everyone else has seen it, but not me. I haven't seen the original since I was quite young. But to be honest, I don't know how much I want to. I wasn't a huge fan of the first. I thought it was really unfair that Charlie broke the rules but received no punishment. Just because he was the teacher's pet doesn't make his rule breaking any less bad. I'm just saying. Shouldn't the message be that good behavior yields rewards, not sucking up? Also, I was a little troubled by the Oompa Loompas. I suspected that there was something wrong with the fact that an entire race of people were working at this factory. Only the Oompas worked there. Where had I seen a similar situation? Oh yeah, the fields of Tara. The Oompas were probably enslaved. Do we know that they were receiving fair wages? Do we know that they were working there by choice? Perhaps they were sugar addicts, and they were being forced to work there in order to get their next fix.

I'm just saying, there were some subversive elements in that movie.

4 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, woah! You HAVEN'T seen it in a while, have you???

To clarify (using orig. movie):

1. Charlie did not break all the rules, he only broke one, and he DID get in trouble for it. (and the rule he broke... he figured out WHY it was a rule, and then he was smart enough to come up with a solution--something NONE of the other kids did do) It was his LOYALTY that won him over. LOYALTY and HONESTY!!

2. The Oompa Loompas were SAVED by Wonka from the savage beasts of Loompa land. It was a land where there was so little chocolate, it was treated like diamonds. They gladly offered to go back to the Factory with Wonka. He offered them money, but they SAID all they wanted was chocolate. Loompaland was obviously a HORRIBLE place. You should rejoice that they are at the Factory! The Oompa Loompas sure do!

Aaaand... I think you should watch the orig. version again. As a fan of snark, you would LOVE Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka!

I liked the new version, but the orig. is still better, I think.

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Maybe the Oompas were suffering from Stockholm syndrome. They just "said" they were happy at the Factory. I mean, isn't that how slavery starts? People are taken from bad places where they don't have food or money and are taken somewhere to "work." At first, it seems great because they get to eat and have a little money. But then they quickly realize that the Factory owns them. Like a sweatshop.

Just saying.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger The Bagboy said...

At least there were no Wangdoodles to eat them, as there were in Loompa Land. They were employed and well taken care of. Don't go all S.P.E.W. on the Oompa Loompas.

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...I'd like to welcome Dr. MAV: Author of "Hostage Terrorist, Terrorist Hostage: A study in duality." Dr. MAV, what can we expect in the next few hours? "

"Well, Mark, by this time the hostages will be going through the early stages of the Helsinki Syndrome..."

"...As in Helsinki, Sweden."

"Finland. (dumbass.)"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home