The Monkey Attacked Me

One girl's struggle against the bizarre.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Books

YayCoffee wrote a post about how she got rid of a whole bunch of books over the weekend. I would like to do the same, but I can't. I don't want to. I like my books.

Sure, they take up a lot of space that limits the addition of new books.

Sure, I rarely re-read them.

I know all of this, but I can't part with them. They are like old friends. They are badges of honor. In fact, I dream of an entire room dedicated to books (some call it a library, I hear). I want floor to ceiling, built-in bookshelves. I want to fill them with my books, my accomplishments. And that is what they are: accomplishments. See that book? I read that. Look at all these books. I read them all. Of course, there are a great deal of chick lit books in my collection, so the display will probably be less impressive. But the sheer quantity will make visitors release tiny gasps of awe.

But, I don't have this dream room (library). I only have my apartment and its limited shelf space. I have things where I like them, so I can't just shove books onto the already occupied shelves. It would mess with the aestetic. So, I dream of bookshelves for my spare room. It is the only solution. I tried to join book swapping/sharing sites and could only bring myself to list about 3 books. And even with those 3 books I thought I could live without, I felt a tug at my heart as I dropped them in the mail to go off to their new owners. My tiny, paperback friends were leaving me. I had to quit the sites after that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home