The Monkey Attacked Me

One girl's struggle against the bizarre.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Long Way Down

I hate this book. I really, really do. Books don't have to be all happy go lucky, good triumphs in the end for me to like it. I have enjoyed plenty of depressing books. But seriously, I could not stand one more moment of Nick Hornby's latest book. I did the audiobook equivalent of throwing the thing across the room. I hit the stop button with much anger. I could take no more.

I hated the majority of the characters. The situations just kept getting more and more annoying. I really wanted to throw all of the characters off the roof myself.

Why in the WORLD do people consider this to be their favorite Hornby book? Sure, the characters in "About a Boy" and "High Fidelity" were pretty selfish and quite the bastards, but at least it was entertaining. I just kept hoping the characters in "Long Way Down" would finally put themselves and me out of our misery. But over halfway through the book, there was no such luck and thus I had to quit the book. I NEVER do that. I suffer through the book. I will begrudgingly read a few pages a night until the thing is finished. But this time, no.

Perhaps it was because the book was in audio form. I don't know. All I know is that "White Oleander" was more enjoyable to listen to in the car, and that is saying a lot considering my opinion of that book. Ugh. I am so angry. That book has filled me with crankiness. Grrrr.

2 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, NO! I am so sorry.

The book is amazing though... perhaps you should read-read the rest. There is redemption! It is Hornby style redemption, but it is there.

I guess I read it all so FAST that I didn't get bogged down by the middle... I just powered through it.

Aw, I am so sad that you aren't liking it. D:

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

I guess that is kind of my book reading problem these days. I don't have a lot of free time that I devote to reading (wathing the first season of Gilmore Girls is far more interesting). So, the book really needs to pull me in fast or at least be engaging enough that I want to continue for several days on end.

I think I might move on to the Narnia books soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home