The Monkey Attacked Me

One girl's struggle against the bizarre.

Monday, July 10, 2006

First Dates

I wish there were some sort of intensive training course for first dates.

So, yesterday/last night I had my first date with Harry (not his real name). Harry and I have GREAT email banter. We wrote about how much we liked X3 and how it probably wouldn't be a bad thing to be behind Magneto in traffic. We also discussed weird rituals. He thought my sleeping on the couch was cute. He is a big grammar nerd and doesn't like to leave "orphans" or "windows" in his writing. He's funny; he's smart; he's pretty much perfect.

We have been emailing for about a month. On Thursday, we spoke on the phone for the first time. Our banter was quite nice. He asked me out for coffee on Sunday. As Sunday approached, my nervousness rose to dangerous levels. I could barely eat lunch. For some reason, I drank massive amounts of water. This would prove to be a bad idea later in the date as I had to keep visiting the ladies room. Anyway, so 3 o'clock rolled around, and I met up with Harry. Harry was much taller than I expected, was a nice, but not too nice dresser, and had the most gorgeous green eyes (hence the Harry moniker). I couldn't stop staring. I also could not stop talking. I recognized that I was talking way too much but was powerless to stop myself. I just continued to babble and babble.

After about 2 hours, I suggested maybe going somewhere for dessert or a drink. He was receptive to the idea, so we went got some gelato. More babbling took place. Then he suggested we walk around and see if there was a bar nearby. We went to the bar at the Inwood Theatre. I thought the two beers would help my nerves. Nope. They just made me louder and a little burpy. Stupid beer.

I finally forced myself to be quiet. We sat in silence for a little while. Then for some inexplicable reason, he asked if I wanted to get dinner. Why? At this point (4.5 hours in), I am ready to get rid of me. So, we go to a breakfasty 24 hours a day place and have some omelettes. I continue to talk endlessly about nothing. I really just want to die. So, I am drinking massive amounts of water and talking. Nightmare! Finally, dinner is finished. While I like Harry, we both know that we need to be wrapping this up.

He takes me back to my car. This is where it just proceeded to get worse. First, it is still light out and there are people on the patio. Now, when I first met Harry, he gave me a hug. So, I don't really know what to expect now. But because of the timing of our exits from the car, we are standing kind of far apart. I didn't know what to do. Should I move closer? Give a hug? A handshake? A post-date high five? So, I did nothing. I kind of gave a little wave sort of thing and said I guessed I would call later.

I am such a HUGE dork. I am. I get nervous around guys I like and become this IDIOT. I know I am being a dork and can't help it. I figit. I babble. I am the OPPOSITE of cool.

Anyway, so I don't know. At the end of the date, he seemed kind of disinterested. But at the same time, he kept extending the date. SIX HOURS. We had a six hour date. Six, excruitiating, long, nervous hours! But then again, there was no kiss or hug or high five. In fact, there was very little actual physical contact. I don't know. I like him. I would like a chance to prove I am not this big of a moron. Aaauuuggghhhh... I hate first dates.

3 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger The Bagboy said...

Sounds like he was into you. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't keep extending it if he wasn't. If I were on a first date with a girl and she was acting all nervous like you described, I think I might be flattered.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Thanks. But I haven't heard from him. I don't know....

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...sometimes you will find a person that will go their whole life drinking what they believe to be the finest alcoholic beverage ever crafted by mortal hands, beer. those people actually believe that beer is truly the nectar of the gods and that possibly keystone is the finest of these beverages. if you give said people a taste of something different, or unique, such as dirty martini or an urban bourbon, they will recoil in fear and run out of the room, screaming bloody horror as they believe that you are trying to poison them with lighter fluid or turpentine. whatever...i say f'em. now pass me the patron, i have a wicked margarita i wanna make...."

...this holds as true for people as it does for alcohol. can't appreciate what you can't handle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home