The Monkey Attacked Me

One girl's struggle against the bizarre.

Friday, June 10, 2005

Should I save Diana from prostitution?

Okay, so I am oddly fascinated by the Nigerian soliciation emails that end up in my Junk Mail. Today, I received one from Diana Williams. Poor Diana wants desperately to go to college, but her aunt is forcing her into prostitution. I am apparently her only hope.

However, I am hesitant to help. Not because I realize that this is almost certainly a scam, but because her grammar is so very, very bad. I understand that she is supposedly Nigerian and would not understand the finer points of English grammar. But, her writing is just awful. Not in a used the wrong word/conjugation/tense/etc way, but it is bad in a Faulkner can't find a period to save his life kind of way. Faulkner understood how to use punctuation correctly, so you couldn't really nail him for bad grammar. Diana, on the other hand, just keeps tossing in comma after comma resulting in on gigantic run-on sentence. Here, take a look.

With due respect, I was move to write you this letter when all hopes were lost about my going to school, I have been persuaded to go into prostitution by my Aunty and that I don,t want to, but resorted to contact you for your assistance, It is my sincere wish that this mail meet you in good health,pardon me writing you this way, but I have no other alternative than to write you.


My name is Diana and I am a 17 years old girl, I was a computer science student of the City Computer Technology, Lagos State, Nigeria before I recently lost both parents to a ghastly motor accident, My dad is a Nigerian and my mum was from United States, I was born in Nigeria,but after the death of my parents,I started staying with my dad sister, that was when my problems started, my Aunty is not all that too educated, I can say she does not know the value of education, she has been trying to persuade me into prostitution, 3 of her daughters are prostituting in Europe,but I told her that I want to continue my studies, she frowned at all my plead to get money from her to resume school.


I don't have any money to pay for my school fees which is N25,000 which is equilvanlent to $250, I have been begging her but to no avail,but she is still bent on persuading me to go into prostitution, I have been seeking for assistance here in Nigeria, but most people that I can reach are very poor, good education is what I need now and I just have to be begging to have it,
my late parents always told me that if I dedicate my time and become well educated that I will become great, but I can now see it as something that I might never achieve, please help me to realize the dream that my parents had for me, the only resort now for me is to beg and please don't look down on me for that reason,or think it is a SCAM,it is circumstance that lead me to this.


Please let me just ask this favor from you, I pray you willing be to help me, but I want to tell you that nothing is too small, if I am able to raise the money for my school fees then I will go and resume school and also I want to leave my Aunty, I want to be staying the school dormitory and avoid my Aunty, please just take me as your sister, if I had known any of my mums
relative, they would have been the ones to help me out,but I don't, please I will be very glad if you can help me out with my school fees, it is just N25,000 ($250) that I need, if I am able to pay for my fees the school promised to give me free accomodation in the dormitory,please just do this for me, let that which you want to give to me for my fees be a blessing to
me. you might be wondering how i got your mail but i searched for it, I will be expecting your mail to know how you can help me, my email address is
williamdiana@msn.com

please I will be expecting your mail.

My regards to your family.

Sincerely Yours
Diana Williams


I really don't think Diana knows me at all, or she would realize that sending such an email would pretty much guarantee my refusal to help. Really, I don't think that Diana is a good investment of my $250 dollars. How could such a bad writer ever succeed in college? Now if the request were for money to take an Introduction to Grammar class, then I would be more inclined to help. But college for Diana doesn't seem like a sound financial decision. I am a huge advocate of higher education, but only once your primary education has been completed. I guess computer science majors don't have to have fabulous writing skills, but they do need to know when to use a comma and when to use a period. If they can't master that, how will they ever master the complex art of coding.

I really don't think Diana is a good investment, so I have decided not to give her $250. However, I will be returning her email with corrections so that she may learn from her mistakes. Perhaps prostitution will be a good thing for her since it will free up her days for in depth study of English grammar.

2 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She'd never make it with grammar like that! Poor Diana. :-( She's doomed from the get go.

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. Poor Diana. The hooker with a heart of gold. And in this instance, you are "the man". The oppressor. You are just keeping her down.

If she's lucky, she'll meet a nice young man like in that delightful Julia Roberts movie. You know the one where she meets that nice boy that changes her life in the positive forever. What was it called...?

Oh. Ocean's Eleven.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home