The Monkey Attacked Me

One girl's struggle against the bizarre.

Monday, November 14, 2005

Phone calls

My apartment manager just called to let me know she was going to have a garage sale. When did it become okay for people to call you for any and everything while you were at work? For some reason, just because the call is coming in on your mobile phone, it seems to others to be okay. It isn't. Let me just make that very clear. It is still a phone call I am a receiving while at work. If it isn't important or cannot be handled via email or text messaging, then do not call. Send me an email. Send me a text message. If it is concerning plans we are making for later that evening, that is okay, too. But do not call expecting to chat. I, like most people, work in a cubicle. People can hear my phone conversations. I do not like this. I do not like the whole office to know when I am and am not working.

Really when did it become okay? Would you call my work number this way? No. People only call your work number for important or very timely calls. I know what you are thinking, I could not answer my phone. Well, I ASSUME that if you are calling me during work that your call IS important.

So, next time you start to dial one of your friends or family before 5 o'clock, remember that there is proper work phone etiquette. Think about if this person has their own office. Think about what kind of job your contact has (it is a big no-no to call tech support people).

And one last thing, if you call me between the hours of 8 and 5 during the week, do not ask what I am doing. I will give you a smart-ass or highly exasperated answer.

1 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger My Daily Struggles said...

You tell 'em, soul sister.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home