The Monkey Attacked Me

One girl's struggle against the bizarre.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Characters We Never Really Needed

Why do shows feel the need to introduce unnecessary characters? Especially in their final season? Why not focus on the original cast for your swan song? Why bring in the Cousin Oliver? And now, the list...

Characters We Never Really Needed

  1. Orko - He-man. Really. He was just annoying. The show had plenty of levity without him. And, what was he anyway. He appeared to be just a floating robe, hat and gloves.
  2. Scooby Dumb - Scooby Doo. Um, it isn't like Scooby was exactly a rocket scientist.
  3. Kennedy - Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Final year. A much beloved character has recently been killed off. Instead of focusing on the core group and how this chapter of their lives would end, they brought in a multitude of slayerettes. Okay, I will let that slide. But to bring one of them into the thick of the story AND make her the love interest EVERYONE hated? Why?
  4. Werewolf Girl - Angel. Once again. Final year. Beloved character loss (well, not so beloved toward the end). Does this show choose to learn from the mistakes of its predecessors? Nope. It brings in a USELESS and thoroughly uninteresting character as love interest. She was so boring, that I don't even remember her name.
  5. Graup - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Baby brother half-giant? What? The book had plenty going on. Evil Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. Quittich bans. AWOL Dumbledore. Idiot Minister of Magic. Rise of Voldemort. Return of the Death Eaters. Tonks. The real Mad Eye. Prophetic dreams. Occlumacy (I misspelled that, I know). Cho and Harry. The DA. So much going on in this book. Graup was just a waste of pages. He didn't really serve any real purpose. He was introduced so close to the end of the book. Why? If he was so great and important, why not work him in earlier? Instead, it is almost like Rowling forgot she was supposed to have given Hagrid a brother. A completely useless brother. Sure, he sort of saved Harry and Hermionie, but that could have been done other ways. I was filled with anger and frustration after reading his tacked on chapter. And then, in the new book, he is mentioned twice perhaps?
  6. Avery - Felicity. Really? What was the point of Avery? I know they had to give Felicity and Ben some drama, but I think it could have been done better.

I am interested to hear your thoughts on more thoroughly useless characters.

4 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harry Potter Geek says: It's "Grawp" and "Occlumency" Just, FYI.

Yes, yes--every character on your list = USLESS AND BORING. When I rule the world, this kind of thig won't happen any more.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

I questioned my spellings, but since I am not geeky enough to carry copies of my HP books around, I was unable to verify spelling.

Hey, it is really busy at work right now. Be thankful for the poorly spelled blogs.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger The Bagboy said...

Responding in order:

1)Yeah, he was pretty pointless. But his toy was awesome! It had one of those ripcord things, and that little sucker MOVED!

2)Sure, Scooby Dumb was pointless, but what about Scrappy Doo? Maybe the most reviled character in the history of cartoons. Puppy power my ass.

3)I understand the hatred toward her, but I don't share it. Plus, I met her in person, and she is HAWT!!

4)Probably a half-hearted effort by the writers to lighten up Angel.

5)I have a feeling he's going to become very important later on.

6)Don't remember this one.

Seacrest out!

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

How could I have forgotten Nadia! Worst. Spy. Ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home