The Monkey Attacked Me

One girl's struggle against the bizarre.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

My Desk Is Not In A Power Position And That Pisses Me Off

Ask anyone who has worked with me or heard me describe office arrangements, I take my desk position very seriously. I hate a desk position that requires my back to face the room, thus allowing others to observe what I am doing on my computer.

I covet the empty offices. I want one SO bad. I could even be happy in that "closet/office." But no, designers belong in cubes.

At my current office, we buy into that weird tech thing about working the dark is so much cooler. Yeah, let me send you my optometry bill. And the receipt for my migraine meds. I really dislike a dark office. It is not only hard on the eyes, but it makes me sleepy. I try lamps, but my desk/computer situation does not make for a happy marriage with the lamp. All the prime locations near the windows were already taken. So I am stuck in the back cube where it is the darkest. I was happy to discover that I was near the kitchen which always has a light burning. But, something worse than darkness occurs when next to the kitchen. People walk by your desk all the time. That is the way that we enter our office. So people are constantly walking by me. And this requires me to make eye contact. I mean, I am a friendly person overall, but all freaking day?!?! I am only one person. But I feel like an asshole if I just stare at my monitors and ignore the passing coworkers who are looking at me as they walk in the door. I put in ear buds so at least it will appear that I am completely engrossed in my work, but I fear this is deceiving no one.

Am I wrong to not want to have to exchange nods and smiles with people that are walking by my desk? My desk position was not of my choosing. I hate exchanging pleasantries with every single person that walks by. I would love to have an office where I could just close the door and avoid unwanted human interaction. I just want to be in my own little Weezer listening world and not interact. It's not like these people are purposefully going by my desk or are seeking me out to talk; they are just returning from the bathroom. Really, I don't want to smile at the guy that just got through peeing. Why should I?!??!?!

What do you think? Does anyone share a similar situation? Are you an ass, or do you submit to the pleasantries exchange?

1 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should get a cowboy hat and wave at people, Big Tex style while saying, "Howdy, folks, and welcome to the State Fair of -- I mean MAV's cubicle!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home